5 Things you need to know before buying Underfloor Heating Manifolds
If you’ve ever researched installing Wet Underfloor Heating, then you will know how important the manifold is to the overall system. The manifold is where the pipework from each part converges and where the hot water supply is fed into.
Deciding on and ultimately installing a manifold is not easy and there could be issues should you make the wrong choice. Leaks or cracks could lead to your system not working as efficiently as it should.
VPS Underfloor Heating have put together a guide with all the information you’ll require before buying and ultimately installing manifolds for a wet underfloor heating system.
We’ll cover the following most common queries:
- How does an Underfloor Heating Manifold work?
- How to choose the right Underfloor Heating manifold?
- Standard UFH manifold dimensions
- Who should install the underfloor heating manifold?
- Where to put the UFH manifold?
1. How does an Underfloor Heating Manifold work?
Manifolds are used in underfloor heating systems to control the flow of water through the system to provide an even, comfortable warmth across the whole floor. The manifold acts as the hub of a heating system connecting both your supply and return lines in a central place.
A manifold is made up of a flow manifold and a return manifold. The flow manifold features flow meters that clearly indicate the flow rate achieved in each loop.
Each loop on the return bar has a valve to open/close the loop – this is normally controlled by an actuator valve, which responds to the call for heat from a room thermostat.
2. How to choose the correct UFH Manifold?
VPS Underfloor Heating stock high-quality pre-assembled distribution underfloor heating manifolds, available complete with isolating ball valves, adjustable flow meters, fill and drain points and automatic air vents.
Our stainless steel manifolds are pre-assembled for immediate mounting for both radiator and underfloor systems.
- Available in 1” and 1¼” sizes, from 2 ways to 12 ways with integral flow control valves to suit a wide range of system requirements
- Can be surface mounted , concealed in a choice of purpose designed plastic or metal cabinets or within a partition wall for a flexible solution to location
- Manifold flow and return outlets are offset for space saving and ease of installation
- Suitable for all sizes of manifold adaptors (eurocones)
The size and type of manifold required for a wet underfloor heating system will depends on the project, the number of rooms and flooring will all need to be taken into account. Call today on 0141-459-3141 for more information or advice about your Underfloor Heating project and one of our team will be happy to help
3. What are the standard dimensions for an Underfloor Heating Manifold?
Number of Ports 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Manifold Length (mm) 150 192 242 292 342 442 492 542 592 642 692
4. Who should install an Underfloor Heating Manifold?
It goes without saying that only qualified plumbing professionals or heating engineers should install and fit a Wet Underfloor Heating system manifold. Unlike electric systems, it is not a DIY job and a qualified individual should be on hand to fit the manifold and lay the pipes.
5. Where to place an Underfloor Heating Manifold?
Underfloor heating manifolds should be placed in an area that is easy to access for any future repairs or upgrades. It is generally recommended that there is 200mm between the floor level and the bottom of the manifold, with around 75mm-100mm clear space at the top and around 50mm on the left and right sides.
Who are we?
VPS Underfloor Heating are able to answer any question you might have in regards your upcoming project or installation and stock a range of top-quality underfloor heating products from some of the most recognised names in the business including: Grundfos, Heatmiser, ProWarm, ESBE and Salus Controls.
Give us a call on 0141 459 3141 to talk to one of the team or choose one of the options below and attach your plans and we’ll get back to you with a breakdown of what you’ll require to get your installation up and running.
Still Not Sure?
Give us a call on 0141 459 3141 to chat to one of our in-house underfloor heating experts, who will get your project up and running in no time!
Alternatively, click the General Enquiries or Request a Quote Buttons and we'll get back to you within 24 hours.